Thursday, June 25, 2009

Labor Story

It all started on Saturday afternoon. Erik and I took a drive out on a bumpy road. The plan was to keep me having enough contractions that I would be inducible on Monday morning. Well, the road was a lot better than we thought. I started having some very strong contractions. Nothing regular, but very painful. After we got back home they kept coming and they continued throughout the night. They were causing me so much pain that Erik and I got up in the middle of the night and walked up and down the sidewalk. Nothing helped, and they still weren't regular. They would come anywhere between 4-15 minutes apart. Finally, I couldn't take it any more. Erik and I got up after a very long night and took a shower. I was hoping the hot water would help the pain. Ma had stayed the night again just in case. I woke her up having a contraction and between her and Erik they decided I was going to the hospital. We dropped the girls off with Tandy and in we went. I was dilated to 3 when we got there. The nurse had us go walk the halls for an hour and when we got back Dr. Andy(he is Randy's nephew and they work in the same office) came in and checked me. I was dilated to 4.5cm. He said I was definitely in labor, but my contractions were very irregular. So he decided to me put on pitocin (sp?) to regulate my contractions. Then came the fun of putting in an IV. I have never had problems with this before, but for some reason they couldn't get one to work. The nurses tried twice and finally called in a specialist. She told me I had good veins but they just didn't want to work that day. She finally got one in. Everything was going well after that. My contractions were becoming more regular and stronger and I decided I was ready for my epidural. The guy who did my epidural was someone I known my whole life. Jeff had gone to school with his son and I was best friends with his niece. He got the epidural and I suddenly started to feel nauseous. They realized my blood pressure had dropped which can happen from the medicine in the epidural. The way to fix that is to increase my fluids through the IV. Yeah, well, my IV had gone bad so Tom had to start another IV on me. They also gave me some oxygen. The lowest Tom saw my blood pressure at was 65 over something. He couldn't remember the bottom number. So once I was able to get some fluids in me I slowly started feeling better. I'd felt like I was going to faint at one point. After that it was waiting time. Andy was going to come in at around 7pm and break my water, but he told us he had another trouble patient and since Kyndra was still a little high he didn't want to risk having 2 trouble patients at the same time. Because there was the risk of her unbillical cord gushing out with the water. So he finally came in around 9 or 9:30 to break my water. I was at a 7 then. He said that he was betting she would be born at 10:48pm in 3 pushes. The nurse guessed 10:30. When they left the room I told Ma and Erik that she was going to be born before that. My guess was 10:15-10:20. I kept feeling more and more pressure when I'd have a contraction. The nurse checked me at about 10:00 and said I only had a tiny bit more to thin out. Andy came in at 10:10 and said I was ready. They were doing stuff to get ready and Andy was holding my leg which was numb and I had no control over because of my epidural. Well, he just walked away and my leg started falling. This can be bad because it can dislocate my leg. Well, Erik caught my leg when I said something and Andy felt really bad. One of the nurses also dropped the same leg a little bit later. Anyway, when they moved me so I could push I wasn't able to tell when I was having a contraction. So we all just sat there waiting for a couple of minutes because I'd had a contraction and didn't know it. That was at about 10:20. When it showed on the monitor I was having a contraction I started pushing. I had enough feeling down there that I could tell what was going on, but I had no pain. I felt what was her head come out and thought there was no way the head was out already. Ma said, "Its going so fast!" And I knew then I had indeed felt her head. The next thing I know I see her little body pop out and Andy jumping up to catch her. Because like Brooklyn, she had a very short unbillical cord. So she was out in 30 seconds and 1 push. Each baby has had shorter delivery times. Brooklyn was out after 17 minutes of pushing, Rilee was out in 10 minutes. And Kyndra has beat that. Maybe it's a good thing we're done having kids.She was born at 10:23pm, Andy told me I cheated because I knew my body to well. Kyndra weighed 8lbs 7.8oz and was 20.5in long. Brooklyn and Rilee came in the next day to meet their new baby sister. They both fell in love with her, but we all knew that would happen.

So there is the very late update on my labor and delivery. I'm off to heat up leftover spaghetti from last night for lunch. I will have a picture post coming soon.

No comments: