Monday, September 19, 2011

School

I have been busy getting Brooklyn going with her schooling. I had a workshop today for the reading curriculum we decided to go with. It seems a bit daunting, but I also think once our books arrive and I can really sit down and go through it everything will click for me. I also love our contact teacher. She is so kind and is just plain awesome. Brooklyn had her IRI and M-Comp tests done last week. She scored a bit low on her math so she will be taking a class once a week at the center to catch her up. I will be finding out tomorrow when she will start that. She hates math, but is good at it. I think by the end of the semester she will be all caught up for her grade level. She did pretty good on her reading tests. She needed to score at least 31 letter sounds to be proficient for her grade and she scored 32. At home when I was practicing with her she was getting around 38. She didn't read any of the words she was supposed to. We're not entirely sure why, but our teacher decided to hold off on putting her in a Title one class because she does read words at home. So our main focus is going to be getting her caught up in math and reading this semester. I also have some science and social studies books for her as well. I can't wait for everything to arrive so we can really get to work. Right now we've just been doing some work out of a couple of grade 1 books I picked up at Walmart. She is doing quite well though. She doesn't like to try to read books, but she really doesn't have any choice. There is even stuff she can do online that I know she is going to love. There is so much to do and it seems like there isn't enough time to do it. I think once we get a good routine going for our school days everything will go more smoothly. The hardest thing for me right now is trying to fit her schooling in around taking care of the younger kiddos. All in all, things are falling into place and I'm really enjoying it so far.

No comments: