Sunday, September 14, 2008

Scary Stuff

Today, Erik, Brooklyn, Rilee and I went over to help build the swing set at my grandma's again. We'd been there for about an hour and a half. I was just getting ready to show my aunt JeriAnn some of things on Wii Fit since they have one too, when I heard crying coming from outside. I thought it sounded like Brooklyn. So I looked out the window, but all I saw was my Uncle Hal and Shaylee standing up in the tower of the swing set. I went out on the deck and there was Erik kneeling down next to Brooklyn who was crying and lying flat on her back. I ran back in the house and told my grandma that Brooklyn had fallen. I didn't know where she had fallen from yet. Then I ran out there over to her and Erik. She had been climbing the new rope ladder when she decided she wanted to go in the house with Daddy. When she had tried to get down she slipped and fell from about 4ft up and landed on her back. Auntie JeriAnn is an ex-EMT and she came outside and I let her take over checking her, because I knew that she would know what to do. Uncle Hal called a Dr. friend of his to get an outside opinion. Auntie JeriAnn was checking Brooklyn's neck and asking her if it hurt. Brooklyn would flinch and say yes. She was also complaining about her back hurting. So finally it came down to having to make a "parent decision", we decided to have her taken in. So Uncle Hal called 911. We didn't want to risk trying to move her. I mananged to stay calm through the whole thing. In fact, I only cried once, but I pulled myself together for her. Brooklyn was pretty scared of the firefighters. She normally gets really shy, so it was hard to get her to talk to him at first. The firefighters put a collar on her while Auntie JeriAnn continued to hold her neck still. When the ambulanc showed up they put her on the smallest back board I have ever seen. I also rode with her in the ambulance, even though I had to sit in the front. The EMT put her on some oxygen while we were in the ambulance. There was a little square hole that I could look back and see her through. In between my frequent checks I heard Brooklyn start crying. When I looked back I just see this tube coming from somewhere on her. I started wondering if he had put and IV in, but then I heard him telling her how it was some oxygen to help her lungs breathe, because she had had the wind knocked out of her hard. Brooklyn was strapped to the back board for 2 1/2-3hrs. They had taken her back to get x-rays and when they got the results back the dr realized that they hadn't taken any of her lower back and pelvis. So she had to go back and get a couple more. The dr. she had was so nice. She was a little nervous at first when he came in the room, but soon he had her laughing and tickled her feet. We were really impressed with the way he took care of her. He was very cautious and even though my poor baby was in pain on the back board he wanted to make absolutely certain that she was fine and didn't have any injuries before he took her off. She even went potty while strapped down. Poor kid had been holding it for a while. The dr. also promised her a popcicle after she was done. And Mommy and Daddy had promised ice cream. She did so good and we're so thankful she is going to be fine. A little sore maybe over the next few days, but just fine. Oh I forgot to mention that Ma was already at the hospital when we arrived. So that helped make things easier. I will have pictures to put on here tomorrow. They are on Ma's camera. Now I'm going to take my emotionally drained self to bed.

Bye for now..........................................